This chicken is bitchin’. It’s flavorful and fall-off-the-bone tender. Goodluck not taking seconds.
Serves 4-6 with leftovers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 3 whole lemons, 2 juiced and 1 sliced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1.5 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- dried parsley, basil, oregano
- sea salt and crushed black pepper
- Roughly 24 pieces bone in chicken parts (2 packs drumsticks & 2 packs thighs), pat dry
- 1 medium onion, thin sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme, or fresh chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon dried rosemary, or fresh chopped
- In a small bowl or directly into a large gallon ziplock bag mix together olive oil, garlic, agave, lemon juice, orange juice, italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, crushed red pepper, and a healthy dose of dried parsley, basil, oregano, sea salt, and black pepper to your liking. (the herb amounts all depend on how herby you want your chicken. I just added a few shakes of each).
- Place chicken and olive oil mix into the large gallon ziplock, mix around, and allow to marinade for a few hours, up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken in two 13 x 9 inch glass baking dishes, distributing chicken and all the marinating juices evenly. Arrange slices of lemon and onion around and on top of chicken.
- Sprinkle generously with the thyme and rosemary if you’d like even more herb flavor (optional)
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovered, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- Remove from oven, serve it all up and chow down!
You can make this recipe with chicken breasts instead of parts the exact same way, but only bake for 30-40 minutes instead of an hour. This chicken is great with a nice big salad or vibrant green broccoli and brown rice.