Summer is coming. Fire up the grill. Pick up some fresh zucchini. Make an awesome salad that will convince your friends that you’re a master of all things grilled, fresh, and delicious. Eat said salad. Repeat.
- 2 small – medium zucchini
- 2-3 handfuls greens ( I used a baby chard, arugula, spinach mix)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2-4 oz cheese (I used a sheep’s milk cheese similar to gorgonzola in flavor, feta would be delicious as would parmesan)
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- crushed garlic
- crushed red pepper
- salt & crushed black pepper
Preheat your grill. With a vegetable peeler, cut thin lengthwise “ribbons” of your zucchini. You could also use a mandolin to make the long thin strips. Massage the ribbons with some olive oil. Lay on your grill until cooked and you get some beautiful golden brown grate marks. Remove and set in a bowl.
To make your dressing mix 3 parts extra virgin olive oil to one part red wine vinegar. Whisk in 1-2 tsp dijon mustard, 1 crushed garlic clove, and some crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper to taste.
Toss your grilled zucchini ribbons with the greens, toasted pine nuts, crumbled cheese, and a few tablespoons of dressing.
We ate our salad with some grilled salmon (recipe to follow) and a hearty serving of roasted sweet potatoes!